Useful Tips to Help You Remove Carpet Stains
Here is a tutorial on how to remove carpet stains. Stains are inevitable and if not treated immediately can ruin your carpet. The never ending list of carpet stain come from tea, coffee, wine, ink, blood, mud, chocolate and much more.
Courtesy of The Decorators Unlimited
Carpet or rugs are extensively used in our homes. They add beauty and elegance to a room. Carpets are made by hand and machine using synthetic or natural fibres.
Most people pay a hefty price to acquire these carpets and the sight of stains can really be heart-breaking. But, don’t worry! It’s easy to remove carpet stains.
Spills and accidents will happen, so be ready, go through the method of how to remove carpet stains. Read every step carefully.
Get into action as soon as someone drops or spills something on your carpet. Scrap up the solid particles with a spoon or a butter knife. Now, start blotting the liquid with a clean, absorbent cloth.
Don’t rub or scrub the stain or you may end up damaging your carpet. Work your way from outside to the centre of the stain to avoid spreading.
Use a cleaning agent, get a ready-made formula from the market or make one at home. Prepare home-made formula by adding one teaspoon mild detergent or dish washing liquid, and one-fourth teaspoon white vinegar in 250 ml of warm water. Never use harsh detergents or bleach.
Spray the cleaning agent on the stain and leave it for ten minutes. Be sure not to spray too much or you would run the risk of over wetting the carpet and damaging its backing. Always test your cleaning agent on an inconspicuous spot before spraying it on to the carpet.
After ten minutes, blot the stained area with an absorbent cloth. Have patience and keep repeating the process till the stain is gone. Now, dab it with cold water and blot dry.
Place a clean absorbent cloth on the carpet and put a heavy object on it. This way the towel will absorb the moisture quickly. Keep changing the cloth as often as possible.
Easy ways to remove carpet stains:
1. Tea, Coffee and other liquid food – Use your home-made solution of 1 teaspoon detergent, 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar and 250 ml warm water.
2. Urine and Vomit – Sprinkle the area with baking soda, pat it with a paper towel and let it dry before using the vacuum on it. Baking soda will clean, sanitize, and deodorize the messy spot.
3. Fat, Oil and Wax – Spread a paper towel over it and then place hot iron for a few seconds. They will come off the carpet on to the paper towel.
4. Chewing Gum – Put ice in a plastic cover and place it over the gum. Scrape out the solidified gum with the help of a spoon or a blunt knife. Vacuum it; apply a dry-solvent carpet cleaner to get rid of the stain.
5. Wine and Juice – Spray the affected area with club soda and blot with a clean cloth. Repeat if required.
6. Grease, Butter and Lipstick – Blot excess oil with a paper towel, then apply dry-cleaning fluid on it.
7. Ink – Mix cornstarch with milk to make a paste, apply on the stain and let it dry. After a few hours, brush it off and vacuum it.