Tips on Setting Dining Table for That Special Occasion
Setting dining table in a stylish way doesn’t necessarily mean you need expensive crystal, china or silver ware, or the finest table linens. You can simply mix and match your crockery, use a bold tablecloth, napkin rings and some pretty flower vase as centre piece to create a rich look.
There are two ways of setting dining table – informal and formal (take a look at the diagrams below). Setting a perfect dining table is not that confusing and intimidating once you learn the basics.
An informal or casual table is quite easy to set:
- Place dinner plates on the table with a neatly folded napkin on top.
- Place soup bowls and appetizer plates on top of dinner plate.
- Place a dinner knife to the immediate right of the plate with its blade facing in.
- Add a teaspoon to the right of the knife and a soup spoon on the outside.
- Place a dinner fork to the left of dinner plate and the appetizer or salad fork on the outside.
- Put water glasses just above the tip of the knife, and wine or cocktail glasses to the right of the water glasses.
- Bring dessert spoon and fork along with it.
Next comes the formal table setting, and trust me it’s not that complex as it seems:
- Place a service plate or a charger on the table, it serves as an under plate for courses that precede the entrée (soup, salad, appetizer) and is taken away when the main course arrives.
- Place a neatly folded napkin on the charger or on to its left.
- Place a bread dish to the upper left-hand side of the charger with a small butter spreader diagonally across the top of the plate.
- Place dinner knife on right side of the charger followed by a teaspoon and a soup spoon on the outside.
- Place a dinner fork to the left of the charger and the appetizer or salad fork on the outside.
- Place a water glass above the dinner knife. If you’re serving wine or any other drink, place the glass to the right of it.
- Place dessert fork on top of the charger with the tines pointing right and a dessert spoon on top of it facing left.
Get ready to party! Take inspiration and floor your guests with these tips on setting dining table that’s great in every sense:
Go for an elegant setting with white square plates and frosted glass.
You can go for this formal dining table setting during a festive get together. Golden chargers are providing a perfect holiday setting.
Plan a bold blue table setting with blue plate, glass, napkin and flowers. Place a yellow striped table linen to make them stand out.
A luxurious, classy setting is all you need to impress your guests.
Go for this simple outdoor setting, match table mates with the colour of your upholstered dining chair.
Candle holders in the centre grab all the accolades for this amazing dining table layout.
White chinaware and clear wine glasses look beautiful against this dark walnut dining table.
The dinner plates have been carefully chosen to match the wall paint of the dining area.
This is a very pretty dining table set-up; add flowers along the centre to make it more interesting.
Take out your finest silverware and put them on display to get this glamorous look for your dining table.
Add lots of crystal to your table; give your table a luxurious touch by, use blue charger with white plates.
Place floral arrangement as centre piece on the dining table; the jute mat and the napkin are looking great with white dinner plates.
Add this awesome centre piece to your dining table. It’s a container filled with potted baby lettuce and a pillar candle in the centre.
Snow flake dishes, amethyst glasses and plum napkins all make for an overwhelming table set-up.